Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Where's Andrea Zuckerman when you need her?

Only 6 days to the election, and I'm with Wyatt Cenac--let's just get this the fuck over already! Good news or bad, I just wanna know.

As I write this, a fourth season episode of the original 90210 is on. I've been watching the old shows once or twice a week lately, and it's really amazing to me just how much I believe those people are friends and that they are exactly who they say they are. I'm pretty sure I believed it within a few episodes.

The new show, however, oy gevult. As I suspected, without Kelly or Brenda, it's a worse dog than ever. I still enjoy Silver, and Dixon is OK but otherwise really really don't care about Annie or Naomi or Annie's parents or the so-called hot teacher or Annie's so-called love interest. The only person is intriguing, and in part that's because they clearly don't know what to do with him. He says he's been in love with Adrianna since the third grade, and mentions he wants to ask Annie out in an earlier episode but holds himself and dresses like a ballet dancer. I hate to say "he's so gay" but "he's so gay." Whether it is Michael Steger who is gay, and Navid is not, or whether Michael Steger is playing Navid gay, I don't know but the actor doesn't choose his own clothes, I suspect. Skinny jeans and a deep v-neck top on that tall willowy body with the long hair just reads gay to me. Anyhow, it came even more out of nowhere than Jenny and Nate did. I don't know why Gossip Girl can get it so right generally, and this show can get it so wrong generally. Of course, Kelly is still coming back, and I do still study teen TV, so it's staying on my season pass, but I just really don't care, and I truly don't believe these people like each other or know who the hell they are supposed to be.

Greek ended well, I guess. I read that Michael Rady is coming back so it's not a surprise that he and Casey will be together next year, (or at least in the same storyline), but I still liked seeing a girl on TV realize her future work life may be more important than a guy, even if that's a pretty cool one. I guess the idea of rival sorority is OK, but I'd rather have Casey a lot less interested in the house, and more interested in school or causes or something. We really don't know if any of those girls are smart and playing vacuous, or actually not all that bright but it would be nice to see it since I think Spencer Grammer really does come off as pretty smart. The woman who plays Rebecca too. Anyhow, with the next season coming in January, it's not the same sort of cliffhanger as Mad Men, where we have to wait 9 months.

I enjoyed the brawl between the two fraternities more than I would think, in part because I was wondering how they choreographed it. I'm sure Rusty will move into the house and realize he can't study amidst the noise and the dirt and the general busybodyness of Cappie and the gang, and will be back with Dale before long.

I don't much care, but it beats the hell out of Secret Life of the American Teenager.

No comments: