Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Does Jason Jones wear lifts?

Last night I watched, as planned, Greek and The Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency, and also the prior day's How I Met Your Mother and Chuck. Obviously, I did not take the night off.

I was really hoping to let TJDMA go for good, because it had gotten so tawdry and awful with the whole model house concept. But a lot of this episode was devoted to Janice's realization that she really didn't like what LA wants from a modeling agency and her plan to move to NY and really open a high fashion agency. That I could get behind, although if things actually went like that, with models who were extremely disciplined about diet, exercise, drinking, drugs, and sex, and were totally devoted to making it, it would be a really boring show. And anyhow, Janice wasn't exactly a frail little wallflower herself in her heydey.

But the reason I originally started watching this, as well as America's Next Top Model, is that I just don't really get it. I'm not at all photogenic myself and am fascinated by the idea that some people know how to move their faces and bodies in just a certain way and it makes the difference between a gorgeous photo, and, well, my photos. I don't think I've learned a whole lot, though, in a lot of viewing. I need something more like What Not to Wear, only for photos. Only every time I watch WNTW, or the practically identical Tim Gunn's Guide to Style, I hate everything I own, not because I don't get the rules or I don't wear nice clothes because I do, but because I don't have a staff of tailors, steamers, ironers, makeup artists, and hairdressers hiding behind my mirror. No matter what I buy, after one wearing, or in my case, living as I do with a white cat and a multicolored one, after letting it hang in the closet for any length of time, I will never look that polished. In any case, I can't imagine real high fashion clients would use the JDMA-NY, after seeing any part of this show (which aside from showing the models as lazy, stupid, and riddled with eating and personality disorders, shows Janice herself as "batshit crazy" as they say--good for a reality show star, not so great for an agent I suspect) and I can't imagine the same viewers would be up for watching, if there is another season--and she made it seem like there would be.

I still love Chuck. Last night mostly took place at a class reunion and was riddled with allusions to a good many teen movies--everything from Risky Business to Heathers to Fast Times at Ridgemont High to 13 Going on 30. Too bad the title "Russkie Business" was already a Veronica Mars episode, as that would have been the perfect title here (the Russian Mafia was involved). Even Nicole Richie wasn't enough to wreck this.

I also enjoyed How I Met Your Mother--but it's so weird, I think of Jason Jones as tall on The Daily Show, and always think of Josh Radnor, who plays Ted on HIMYM as short-ish, only Radnor towered over Jones. Granted Jones was probably barefoot as he was in a Karate outfit, but he must wear some serious lifts in his normal shoes, then, or Radnor must, or it's just because Jon Stewart is so short and Jason Siegel is so tall, or something like that. I don't know . . . the ending was telegraphed slightly to me, or at least I suspected it and since Sarah Chalke is on Scrubs, and Scrubs is coming back, whether she was the mother never seemed to be at issue for me, only how they would spilt up. I'm ready for them to get on with it.

I was happy to learn that I was wrong, and that Greek was only airing its penultimate episode, which I figured as soon as I realized they kept talking about "two more weeks" in the term, and that Casey's latest love interest--who I'm sure came in second for the role of Chuck because Michael Rady looks a lot like Zachary Levi, down to the sideburns--wasn't even on, and nor was Rebecca, who is usually relatively important. The episode was just OK, as I really don't care who the new sorority president is, or who is pulling the strings and I mostly watch for the love stories, which were almost entirely absent this time, but it was still fun to watch.

No comments: