Monday, October 27, 2008

I could have had you.

Last night was the season finale of Mad Men. It felt very discombulating to have the commercial breaks there, but only one break. I felt like the Joan story got really short shrift, but the Don/Betty, Peggy/Pete, Peggy/Colin Hanks, and the story of the ad agency and a whole bunch of people who work there got covered, so I think I'm happy. Or at least I'm happy as long as Jon Hamm and Matthew Weiner get re-signed. John Slattery is very good but he would lift right out if need be but Jon Hamm wouldn't.

Anyhow it was a little surprising that Pete told Peggy he loves her, as I'm not sure the storyline bore that out all season. Certainly he's been impressed in the last few episodes, but only since she got her haircut, and before that he seemed to stare a lot so we knew he was intrigued, but I'm not sure selfish, closed-in Pete is even capable of love. And Peggy deserves better so I'm glad she burst his bubble. On the other hand, she got to confess and sleep the sleep of the just. Maybe she'll take the baby back from her sister? I have an interesting feeling, though, that when the show comes back, she'll be at least associate creative director if not creative director while Pete is head of accounts. Although it doesn't seem like Duck made much of a hit and if he isn't president then Pete is staying right at his same level. I don't even think he's 30 and just on that basis seems a poor choice for an executive position but there's that whole youth movement going on. I'm not sure if they'll get together or not but I'm sure that will be an ongoing story. Someone mentioned if he ever found out he might try to get the baby for Trudy and I suppose that's possible in which case I see an awful lot of crying in store for Peggy's sister.

Did they really bring on "the Smiths" just so the gay one could cut Peggy's hair? They weren't even in evidence last night, so it sort of seems like it. Anyhow I'm glad the show is coming back because Salvatore needs a lot more attention, and I suspect there will be something there. That's the problem with these giant-cast shows, there are always characters that we don't hear nearly enough about. Then again, it would be totally weird if only three people ever talked at the ad agency.

Anyhow, a whole lot of people are definitely going to feel stupid when the world doesn't end. I really don't understand the whole Cuban Missile Crisis thing--I tended to zone out in history class when it came up, which was mostly in the last few days of school when we covered everything from WWII on at breakneck pace. But I do know none of those people died or even were injured in it. Betty in particular is going to hate herself for her infidelity, as fair as it was and as good looking as that guy was. And I just realized that was Captain Awesome from Chuck! If I hadn't noticed the name I never would have guessed that, as it's a totally different character. Given that he doesn't have a contract, I guess Don won't feel really dumb for basically quitting, but I'm sure he'll be back. He'd better--otherwise there would be no show.

Speaking of Don, Jon Hamm was OK on SNL, but some of those sketches were clearly written by six year olds, and read "not even first draft." I was really glad they did not one but two Mad Men oriented sketches. They used to always do a sketch about whatever show or movie the guest is in, but in the last few years they rarely do so I hope they go back to it. It was so strange to see him really smiling, as Don almost never does. "Weekend Update" worked much better with only Seth Meyers. I've had about enough of Amy Poehler.

Desperate Housewives is still on TiVo as I was out last night. I'll get to it eventually.

No comments: