Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I should be grading, and sending off something I sort of told a mentee I'd done months ago, but this is important too. It's Gossip Girl for goodness sake!

The whole Jenny/Nate thing came out of nowhere. I thought he was madly in love with Vanessa, which I didn't understand then, and I really don't understand this. And Jenny's dress was totally ugly and her hair was worse and last I read the actress was in the hospital for a potentially lethal throat infection. Is there such a thing or is that TV teen star talk for in rehab? (I reserve the right to edit this if she really does die and will swear I never said it). Anyhow I don't expect realism from this show, and know from America's Next Top Model that there actually is a 15-year-old fashion designer out there, but puh-lease. That storyline is totally pointless. I'm sure most 15 year olds think they are already ready to be a famous actor or singer, and some are, but to run a business is a whole nother thing. And the storyline might make a modicum of sense if Nate were still rich and could bankroll her, but he's poor and he's dull, and not cute to me so I really just am over that storyline. Of course, in the same episode we also had a 17/18 year old artist having his own one man show so, whatever.

Chuck and Blair . . . sigh. I would be perfectly happy to watch them go to the movies, and hold hands, and then break up. But no, they can't even date because they aren't ready yet to do it right. That's way too adult, even for the hyper-sophisticated teens of this show and I don't really get it, especially as it isn't even sweeps month yet. Where do they go from here? Do we have to watch them date other people? We already have! Anyhow, they're enough to keep me watching, but last night certainly stretched credulity. Anyhow, Blair looked great, as always, with that perfect tear running down her cheek and I loved Chuck's two-toned jacket.

As for Heroes--I really don't know where they are going. I mean on Gossip Girl there's are a few organizing questions: Will Chuck and Blair ever get together or Will Serena go to Yale (even if I don't much care about that one). On Lost it's how do they back to the island and who is still alive. I don't even know what the question is on Heroes. Will they keep the World from ending is a. something that's happened in two other seasons and b. when they keep showing us alternate futures, there's no way of knowing. I think it's just crappy storytelling and I'm not sure I watch but I guess I just like to watch TV. I did enjoy Kristen Bell's return, but seriously do all the women have to be blonde? They have at least five blondes with relatively major storylines last night, and two brunettes who got two lines apiece.

Desperate Housewives from Sunday filled in a few blanks, I have to say. I thought it interesting that for some reason or other the main women were wearing primary colors in the past and not in the present, but it was hard to tell if it meant anything, especially with Catherine in red in the present. But it's funny they'd have a party where Bree was dressed up in a metallic satin cockdail dress, and Edie was similarly attired, but Lynette was in a very daytime sweater and jeans, and her husband in his same orange t-shirt from work, Gabrielle looked like crap in turquoise, and poor Mrs. Mcluskey was in head to toe orange loungewear, though she had the excuse of surprise. I guess I really don't care enough to analyze the show, just the clothes. But where are Susan and Catherine's daughters? You'd think they'd at least be mentioned. I realize they aren't still teen girls, but at least they are younger women that you'd think this show would want to have.

No comments: