Thursday, November 20, 2008

Should Michelle wear a turtleneck to the inaugural ball?

Well, who knew if I put Rex Parker's blog on my list of links, that I'd be able to get to mine from his page, even if he doesn't know I'm there. I almost wrote to him because he snottily said that the Venn diagram of CW watchers and NY Times Crossword Puzzle viewers is small. Maybe, but I nestle right in there quite nicely. I may still write.

So as long as I was here, I had a lot of trouble concentrating on Pushing Daisies last night, but I don't think it was its fault. My eyes were stinging from the nasty flourescent lights at the Holiday Inn where our annual All Area of Studies Meeting was. So even though I did my normal Wednesday (for now, since these shows likely won't be here by January) of PD, Stylista, and Dirty, Sexy Money, I don't have a lot to say about the shows. I haven't watched Top Chef yet, and I guess I'll get spoiled for ANTM before I can watch it tomorrow. Bummer. I actually thought I'd be so busy with the AAOS meeting like I was last year that I wouldn't get to most of my TV, but it's been very poorly attended this year, and unlike last year pretty lackluster, and it just didn't make sense to stay when our Cultural Studies meeting broke up two hours early and dinner wasn't for 3, not to mention the food at the Holiday Inn sucks. I'll go to talk about "My life in TV studies" at 1:30.

So, I'm still pissed that PD is likely canceled (at this point it's just not on the schedule) and that evidently it ends on a cliffhanger. In fact I thought last night might have been the last for this year but there was a preview so I guess I should have remembered that ABC isn't the CW and doesn't replace its shows for a full 6/7 weeks. That's a long time for teenagers to get used to not watching 90210, though of course I'll be watching January 6th or whatever that date was. I had hoped they might rerun Privileged, so I could watch it on actual TV, but next week is an 8 year old Mandy Moore movie that looks dull, so I guess not.

Stylista is still awful, and now the "fat girl" is gone and the ones who fight all the time are the only ones left. I think next week is one of those clip shows I hate so much. I really thought I might learn something, and I did learn something about a party page last night--we're supposed to feel like we're there at this party we weren't invited to and wish we were there. I almost always skip those, especially when they're full of people I haven't heard of. And Nigel Barker. I'm not the Elle audience I guess. The fact I don't read it would probably prove that.

Dirty, Sexy Money? It was there. I like it enough while I'm watching it but it has no traction with me. I suspect shows like it and Lipstick Jungle--which was announced as canceled, but Brooke Shields says it ain't so--may fade as the economy worsens, along with $12000 handbags and Jimmy Choos. When even the president-elect is supposed to scale down the Inaugural Ball--while still celebrating for the benefit of America, and even CNN is recommending that Michelle wear a Gap turtleneck, the stories of the wealthy idle just gets more and more unlike how we are living these days. On the other hand, the rich will always be with us, and don't we need escapism? I'd hate to end up with a bunch of ugly shows that look like Sanford and Son, or even My Name is Earl.

I also watched Forgetting Sara Marshall last night since my eyes wouldn't allow anything else. My reaction I'm sure, is colored by the fact that the closed captioning didn't work, and when the heat is on it gets pretty noisy in here and I simply couldn't hear a lot of the jokes. Love Jason Siegel. Love Kristen Bell. Love Mila Kunis. Love Paul Rudd. Love romantic comedies. Did not love this movie. Enough with the guy humor/shlubby guy who hot girls adore for strange reasons.

No comments: