Thursday, December 4, 2008

Top Chef tastes pretty good, actually


I wonder if we'll ever really see what happens on Dirty, Sexy Money? It seems like they're building to something, but the chances that the producers didn't plan ahead or NBC won't even run all 13 episodes is pretty damn good, so it seems somewhat pointless to be watching it. Thank goodness I don't care about it. I do care about Pushing Daisies, but since I went to a going away party last night, I didn't get to watch it yet. Without Life on Mars, I have my choice tonight of watching it (and Stylista, ugh), or checking back in with ER, which I don't really want to do. I feel like Michael Scott saying, when Holly and he essentially broke up, "I just know I'll go back to Jan, and I hate Jan!" Anyhow, it seemed like more of the same--someone screws someone over and Nick ends up doing shit work and having a moment with Karen Darling. What. ever.

You know, I was dubious at first about Top Chef, since it bugs me that all we have to go on is personality and the opinion of the judges. We can't taste the food, and even if we could, with all that bacon and all those scallops, I wouldn't be able to anyhow. But it really is a perfect reality show. Just enough time spent on the Quickfire--which is much more interesting somehow than Pop Design, just enough on the elimination challenge, just enough at Judges table, much better music than on Top Design where there happy shiny music when someone wins gives me the creeps. I just wish they didn't start with so many contestants, since I still don't know most of their names, but it wouldn't be the same if no one got eliminated and this allows for a longer season, so I guess that's fine as long as I know the name by the time the show ends.
Damn, I just looked for a picture of the one I was going to root for to win, and got spoiled. I hate that. Almost as much as I hate Jan.

No comments: