Thursday, May 21, 2009

Just to wrap up this little "photos from the upfronts" project, the CW photos are out. I'll actually include them this time, since I don't seem to be up to doing the real thinking required for what I planned today. Thank goodness we get Monday off.


A Beautiful Life has Corbin Bleu, who I assume is Black (I have yet to see one minute of any High School Musical movie, but eventually probably will), at far left, and Ashley Madekwe, who appears to be of color in some way, relatively central, but not as central as Mischa Barton (when will they ever learn?). Hopefully I won't get sucked into that.
Melrose Place includes Jessica Lucas, whose parents are Hatian and Pakistani, at the far end of the photo (and a photo of Laura Leighton's Sydney, who used to date Jake, making out with the character who I understand to be his son--eww--but hey getting Sydney and Michael is a decent way to secure my Tuesday nights again next season, no matter how dull, plus Michael Rady, who was awesome on Greek, but dull as dirt on Swingtown--the hat he is wearing in the photo does not give me hope).
The Vampire Diaries cast is only three people, and seems to be all white (pale, in fact), and continues the CW trend of casting Degrassi actresses which was such a good move on 90210. And I don't even think she's as good on Degrassi as I thought Shenae Grimes was, which wasn't very. I will not subject myself to that. Reaper is dead, which is OK with me, and Privileged, which I never saw either but probably need to.
I saw these photos on http://www.thefutoncritic.com/. Zap2it's photos cut all all of these except Corbin Bleu, so I guess that's just their style, to crop the photos down to 3-4 cast members, but having the people of color on the ends just makes that totally easy.


CBS still doesn't seem to have those "family photos" yet--they want me to watch previews, complete with commercials. I don't feel like doing that, as I have other things to do. (Yes, really, even if I'm doing this instead). For next season, there's a show called Trauma on NBC, and another called Miami Trauma (for mid season on CBS), but they're not spinoffs the way NCIS: Los Angeles is a spinoff of NCIS, which gives CBS a total of three shows with the semicolon, city formation, in addition to the originals of those shows. I simply don't understant why this is the #1 network, but I know I'm totally out of touch with "regular people" who watch TV. Given that pretty much all of my friends happily announce that they don't own a TV, or if they do they follow 1-2 shows per season, I'm the outlier there.

Well, I have several choices for research. I could beat my head against the wall and change my manuscript according to what one outside reader thought I should, but it's extremely unlikely that that publisher would publish it anyhow. I could develop six-ten new packets, and start again with the next "tier" of publishers. An advisor helped me a lot by giving me ideas about how I could "historicize" the subject. I could try to turn one of the middle chapters into an article. I could revise the conclusion with new shows and at the same time make that an article. I could start a new article. I could think about this after I take my vacation, which I clearly need a lot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Hollywood Reporter http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/cont....c0f60c8af5aed4f says talks still ON for Reaper Season Three for syndication Sundays; write your CW local affiliate and ABC Studios, tell them there's a fanbase for REAPER. We’re hearing back from the affiliates that they are considering the deal; apparently some are worrying about Tyler leaving, so reassure them that we’d still watch the show without him. Addresses and links at reaperdmv.com.